History

Piedmont Precast Today

In 2004, after solely manufacturing Wilbert Burial Vaults for 67 years, the Wilbert Burial Vault Co. of Atlanta, GA, rebranded themselves as Piedmont Precast. Under the same ownership, Piedmont Precast made this move to address their expansion into a growing product line, specifically, construction related precast concrete products.

Precast Concrete | How the business began

Caleb Edgar Bowen ,a general contractor in Atlanta, was responsible for building HM Patterson Spring Hill Funeral Home, it was completed in 1928. The pace of the construction industry in Atlanta began to slow down as a result of the depression and it was clear to Caleb, that sustainable employment was needed for his family. Caleb’s health was in decline (died June 28, 1930, age 54) and his eldest son, Frank Bowen, Sr., who was friends with Fred Patterson of HM Patterson funeral home, was fortunate to be hired as a funeral director. It was in his time working there that the two quickly realized a need for quality burial vaults. In 1937, with a background in construction that was concentrated in concrete, Frank, Sr., began the Wilbert Vault Co. in order to fill the demand for outer-burial receptacles that were now required by many cemeteries. Our original plant, no longer there, was off Mecaslin St. just south of where Atlantic Station is now. We moved to our new location on Mendel Drive in 1972 and still manufacture here.